Thursday, June 17, 2010

Today, So Far


Today, I was transferred from my cosy room in the hotel to the apartment of a doctor who’s out of the country for a while, which is near the priest’s residence behind the hotel. With my new camera in hand, I became a raving tourist in the city taking pictures of absolutely everything that I could find worth capturing. I went to the Tower of David, a fort built by Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent in the 1400’s when he rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem. It is an extension of three defensive towers erected by Herod the Great. It is on the western side of the city, next to the Jaffa Gate which is centrally placed on the western wall of the Old City. It now acts as a museum of the history of Jerusalem. Click-happy, I took over one hundred and fifty pictures during this escapade. Here, I'll give you one pic with explanation now. I'll give you the other four that I'm willing to explain later tonight:

1) This is the front of the Pontifical Institute Notre Dame of Jerusalem Center, where I have stayed and volunteered for the last week and a half and where I will be staying and volunteering for the next two and a half weeks. This is the main entrance, seen from an angle from the sidewalk that approaches the entryway. To the left, behind the bushes is the outdoor seating area of the restaurant and café. To the right of the main entrance is the seating area for the buffet style cafeteria. My room was on the ground floor in the hallway behind the cafeteria, in the wing that you see at the right. On top of the building, between the two spires, is a statue of Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment