Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Today's Top Eleven












Actually, the only pics I took today. I wandered around the city, down some of the bazaar streets and into the Jewish Quarter. I bought my first souvenir: a 3ft by 5ft flag of Israel. I was walking down Christian Quarter Road and a man stopped me to invite me into his shop. He started listing out some of his goods: "Perhaps you would like some jewelry for your girlfriend, or an Israeli flag, or..." I inquired about the flag. He directed me across the street to his brother's stall. He had three flag sizes, 450 shekels (about $120) for the largest, 300 shekels for the medium, 200 shekels for the smallest - outrageous prices as usually. I pulled out the 124 shekels I had with me (about $34). He tried to give me the medium one. I hesitated, told him I wanted the large one and if he wouldn't give it to me, I'd want my money back and go somewhere else to look for it. Nothing more need be said. The flag was in my hands and I was out the door. I checked the price for a flag like that online later on - the one I got would cost about $31 plus shipping and handling. I fared OK and I got my flag. I wandered around the Jewish Quarter, bought a Falafel - it's a burrito shaped thing in a pita with hummus, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, and some breaded herb ball things. I then wandered around the area trying to find a museum that would be open at the time; in the end I decided I was too tired for sightseeing and came back and took a thirty-minute nap. I stopped by the Holy Sepulchre on the way back. I didn't take too many pics today because it just doesn't feel right taking pictures of Jews living their daily lives - I feel like I'm spying on them and stealing something from them when I take a picture. I'd prefer to be a member of the city and not get any pics then be an obnoxious tourist. So, I present today's top (and only) eleven. These are pics of the Damscus Gate, the Jewish Quarter, and the Holy Sepulchre.

No comments:

Post a Comment